Picture this: You’re eating ice cream in bed and watching re-runs of your favorite show. Suddenly the phone rings, but it’s out of reach. You roll your eyes internally because you just know it’s your annoying coworker and you don’t want to think about work when you’re pigging out. Now, you haven’t seen the caller ID, he didn’t say he was going to call you at “x” time, but somehow you just know it’s him. You begrudgingly put your ice cream aside and take your covers off, walk over to your phone, and take a look at the screen. What do you know? It’s him.
This is what we call claircognizance, or clear knowing. This is when information “pops” into your head. It’s not a feeling, it’s not an image, it’s not a voice… it’s simply knowledge that you become aware of. The information is downloaded through your crown (7th) chakra and can come from your higher self, your angels, and your spirit guides. Not to be confused with your own thoughts, it appears as a flash of insight; a sudden illumination of thought. It can be nagging or fleeting, but most importantly it comes on suddenly and without additional influence.
Ways you have probably experienced claircognizance…
- You thought of someone and they suddenly contacted you.
- You knew what song on a random playlist would come up next (a nice way to practice!)
- You constantly find yourself in the right place at the right time.
- You just knew to go a different route on your way home and ended up avoiding a major delay.
- You have always done well on multiple choice tests despite not really knowing the content.
- You thought of something completely random and later on, either you saw it, someone mentioned it, or you in some other way came across it.
- You suddenly knew the right thing to say and it just came out of your mouth/writing instrument. You may even have thought to yourself “That doesn’t sound like me!”
- What ways have you experienced claircognizance?
Claircognizance in action:
I was having a discussion the other day with my partner. I did what I usually do when I pretend to care about what he is saying and starting drifting off. For some reason, the word “Chuck E. Cheese” came to mind. That thought was immediately followed by the thought of my sister, Kayla. In turn, this was followed by the specific memory of she and I playing with these little hard plastic figurines. It was a beloved memory, and it was super random that it came up out of nowhere. I decided to google it and found an image of the figurines to send to her… what happened next? The image says it all
How to improve your claircognizance
- Meditate, meditate, meditate. Get used to knowing what it’s like to be empty of thought. This will make it easier for you to be able to differentiate between your own thoughts and claircognizant insights.
- Practice automatic writing. Find a quiet place and begin to write. Just write about whatever comes to your mind. Always ground yourself and ask for protection before beginning your practice. Some suggest writing with your non-dominant hand.
- Affirm your claircognizance. Saying and believing you are claircognizant will improve this ability (everybody has it, so this only makes you more aware of it and thus more likely to notice when it is happening).
- As usual, ask your guides and angels for help, then be open to receiving it!